125 total views, 1 views today
In celebration of the 145th anniversary of CMCC
Introduces the running-time concept to Sri Lanka
A netball carnival organized by the Colombo Malay Cricket Club (CMCC) in association with the Sri Lanka Netball Association and Sri Lanka Schools Netball Association will take place at the CMCC Grounds (Padang), Kew Road Colombo 2, this Saturday, 23 September 2017.
The tournament will see a total of 11 clubs and 12 schools vying for glory under two categories; Club Open and Inter-School. The participating clubs are;
- Sri Lanka Police
- Sri Lanka Army
- Sacred Heart convent Galle OG club
- Colombo Malay cricket club
- Campbell club
- Girls High School OG Kandy Club
- Hatton National Bank Plc
- HFC Old Girls Club Kurunegala
- Maliyadeva Old Girls Kurunegala Club
- Presbyterian Old Girls ClubThe schools which will take part for the Under 16 tournament are;
- Dharmashoka Girls School, Ambalangoda
- Girls High School, Kandy
- Gothami Balika Vidyalaya Colombo
- Helena Wijewardena Girls School, Kelaniya
- Sacred Heart convent Galle
- Holy Family Convent Kurunegala
- Kalutara Balika National School
- Kolonnawa Balika Vidyalaya
- Maliyadeva Girls College, Kurunegala
- Museus College, Colombo
- Presbyterian Girls School, Dehiwela
- Seenigama Foundation of Goodness School
The ‘Running-time’ concept, which is popular in countries such as Singapore and Malaysia, will add much vibrancy to the event as all the 6 courts will commence and end the matches under a common whistle blow. Commenting on this concept, Hyacinth Wijesinghe – Tournament Consultant stated, “We are grateful to CMCC for giving us the opportunity to introduce the new concept to Sri Lanka Netball. Under this the match time will be shorter, and the pace quicker. For example, the Inter-School matches will be played to a 7-1-7 time belt. It will help the players to literally think on their feet, and make quick decisions on the court.”
The tournament will be followed by a carnival atmosphere created at the Padang grounds, with food stalls, entertainment, live music and games.
The Netball Carnival is organized in celebration of the 145th anniversary of the Colombo Malay Cricket Club, which is Sri Lanka’s first Cricket Club, established in 1872.
News leading up to the tournament and live updates will be provided by Malays.lk, the digital media partner via Facebook, Twitter and SMS alerts.
To visit event page click HERE